Here’s a detailed pattern for making a crochet hand clap, designed specifically for beginners:
Skill Level: Beginners.
- Worsted weight yarn in your desired color (about 50 yards)
- Crochet hook size H/5.0mm
- Yarn needle
- Ch: Chain
- SC: Single crochet
- HDC: Half double crochet
- DC: Double crochet
- Sl st: Slip stitch
- St(s): Stitch(es)
Hand (Make 2):
- Start with a magic ring (or ch 4 and join with a sl st to form a ring).
- Round 1: Ch 2 (counts as first HDC), work 7 HDC into the ring. Join with a sl st to the top of the beginning ch-2. (8 sts)
- Round 2: Ch 2 (counts as first HDC), HDC in the same st. 2 HDC in each st around. Join with a sl st to the top of the beginning ch-2. (16 sts)
- Round 3: Ch 2 (counts as first HDC), HDC in the next st. *2 HDC in the next st, HDC in the next st. Repeat from * around. Join with a sl st to the top of the beginning ch-2. (24 sts)
- Round 4: Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), SC in the same st and in each st around. Join with a sl st to the first SC. (24 sts)
- Rounds 5-9: Repeat Round 4.
- Fasten off and weave in the ends.
- Take both hand pieces and align them with the wrong sides together.
- Insert your crochet hook through the corresponding stitches on both hands and join the yarn.
- Working through both layers, SC around the outer edge of the hand, making sure to stitch through both loops of each stitch. This will join the two hand pieces together. Continue SC all the way around, stuffing lightly as you go.
- When you reach the base of the hand, create a small loop with a chain of about 8 stitches, then join it back to the base with a sl st.
- Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
- Thread the yarn tail onto a yarn needle.
- Starting at the base of the thumb, use the yarn needle to sew the opening closed. Weave in the remaining yarn tail.
- Repeat the same process for the other hand, making sure to mirror the thumb placement.
- Your crochet hand clap is now complete!
Feel free to customize your hand clap by adding decorations such as embroidered eyes or using different yarn colors. Enjoy your project and have fun clapping your hands!